How does it work?
With a simple movement, you have Instant deployment resulting from a torsion spring activated, 180 degree rotational opening of Precision Powderblades® (U.S. Patent No. 8,317,229 entitled "Adjustable Ski Pole Basket" - Webb Ref: 5786-090993), which expands the surface-area float or buoyancy from 4.5 square inches/pole to over 12 square inches/pole. That’s a transformation from 9 square inches to 24 square inches of buoyancy per pair for a greater user experience.
Icing & Snow Build-up
What about frozen snow and ice? Can that hinder use?
Nope. Not at all. Our Powderblade® design and materials explode through the elements.
- Design: We’ve designed the Orbital Skiing Precision Powderblades® to be released “on the go”, with a burst of energy. Grade 316 stainless torsion springs store energy until deployed by the user. Any snow or ice hanging on or around the basket simply is removed from a burst of vibration and by the 180 degree rotation of three Precision Powderblades®. The cone-like shape of the Precision Powderblades® also sheds snow while in use.
- Materials: We’ve chosen Dupont® Zytel fiberglass supertough nylon, which is a material that can be designed with a slippery surface that doesn't allow traction for snow or ice build-up.
How effective is this with the impact of a weight-bearing user?
Each of the three Precision Powderblades® can bear the weight and impact of the heaviest athletes, again because of Design and Materials. Our weight bearing tests included liquid nitrogen baths for simulating the most frigid conditions tolerated by man.
- Design: The base of each basket is architecturally designed in a cone-like aspect, which takes a 45 degree angle to the ground surface. This is the optimal angular structural design, which we copied from the roof-engineering of some of the heaviest buildings in the world. Each of the three Precision Powderblades® is mounted with Titanium hardware on that 45 degree angle for optimal structural strength.
- Materials: Each of the three Precision Powderblades® is made with a Dupont® Zytel supertough nylon, which exceeded the requirements of our rigorous weight-bearing tests, in a wide-range of conditions.
How is the swing-weight of the Orbital Skiing & Trekking Poles?
Because this was a concern from the very beginning of our design-process, we were committed to making a Orbital All-Mountain Poles as lightweight as possible. This was achieved by the optimal design through an economy of parts, and by employing the more expensive, lightweight materials such as carbon and titanium. In our final design, the marginal weight of each basket is only 1.9 ounces. In the many prototype tests that we conducted, we concluded that the user begins to notice the marginal weight at around 2.5 ounces, so we were pleased to achieve such a low marginal weight for final production. We are convinced that the added cost of the more expensive carbon and titanium is well placed, given the greater feel and broader utility being offered to the all-mountain enthusiast. Total weight for a pair is 20 ounces.
What are the Powderblade® basket specifications?
Closed/Retracted: 4.67 sq. in. Open/Deployed: 12.07 sq. in. (vs. 11.95 sq. in. for standard powder baskets)
What are the pole specifications?
- ENDEAVOR 2-SECTION: 84cm-135cm (33-53 in.)
- DISCOVERY 3-SECTION: 71cm-135cm (28-53 in.)
- ENDEAVOR 2-SECTION: 20.15 oz./pr
- DISCOVERY 3-SECTION: 20.01 oz./pr
- ENDEAVOR 2-SECTION: 15mm/12mm
- DISCOVERY 3-SECTION: 18mm/16mm/14mm
- ENDEAVOR 2-SECTION: Traditional pistol grip with self-locking strap
- DISCOVERY 3-SECTION: Extended length high-power EVA foam with self-locking strap
- Shaft Material: 99% Carbon Fiber
- Strap: D-Col Seamless Wear Resistant Self-Locking Strap
- Locking System: Tri-L Twist Locking System
- Tip: Titanium-Tungsten Alloy (slightly longer than most poles allowing user to release randonee bindings with pole)
- Baskets rotate freely on shaft
U.S. Patent No. 8,317,229 entitled "Adjustable Ski Pole Basket" - Webb Ref: 5786-090993